Thursday, December 20, 2007

bilmflog review: My blueberry nights


My blueberry nights

Director: Kar Wai WongWriters: Kar Wai Wong & Lawrence Block

Norah jones doesn’t make my sort of music. I like jazz, and all the Blue Note greats. Personally I feel jazz music should be wild and a little dangerous. Jones isn’t. Her music is not to interruptive, all sounds the same and gets a little boring. (Bytheway, people who call music “Jazzy” should be shot.)
So I wasn’t to wild about MBN being marketed all about norahjones debuting as an actor. And in the first ten minutes I was right, but it got better. In the start of the film Jones starts off whining to the coffeeshop-owner-aspiring-philosopher Jude Law–who-gets-about-a-hundred-customers-a-day-but-we-hardly-see-any about lost keys. After that she decides to roam the earth (within the American borders) in search of ‘her true self’.
No offence, but to me it all sounded like it was written with a solely female audience in mind. Why? 1) Jude Law 2) surrounded by cake 3) remains single and dreamy for about a year for 4) Norah Jones 5) a girl he met only a couple of times. 6) did I mention cake?
Anyways, Norahjones wanders off to the South and to Vegas working as a waitress. These parts of the movie were a lot better, a bit like short stories in it self, with reliable actors like David Strathairn. Natalie Portman as a gambler overacts a bit but its allright. Norahjones acts a bit low-key with appears quite natural. I still wont play Norahjones’s music, but wouldn’t mind seeing her act again.
Overall this movie could have had a little less needles slow-motion bits or close-ups on food (witch in this CSI day and age is just gross, until you realise its just food) and a lot more dialogue such as “lets get you out of these wet clothes”.

A few jokes could have really helped this film. The only thing in this movie that made me lauch were the names on the end credits such as Jacky Pang Yee Wah, Telly Wong and Suk Pin. (I’m sure they’re all beautiful individuals with great personalities, but they sound funny.)

No comments: